Fulbright Professional Scholarship in Non-Profit Leadership – 2021
Fulbright Professional Scholarship in Non-Profit Leadership (funded by Perpetual and supported by the Australian Scholarships Foundation)
The Fulbright Professional Scholarship in Non-Profit Leadership is the first Fulbright Scholarship for the not-for-profit sector in Australia. It provides a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for an emerging leader in the charitable not-for-profit sector to undertake a program of research and/or professional development in the United States for a period of 3-4 months.
What is Fulbright?
A Fulbright award is more than a Scholarship – it is, in the words of Senator Fulbright, a means of fostering “leadership, learning, and empathy between cultures… It is a modest program with an immodest aim – the achievement in international affairs of a regime more civilised, rational and humane than the empty system of power of the past.” Since its establishment, the Fulbright Program has grown to become the largest educational exchange program in the world, operating in over 160 countries.
Fulbright Australia offers Fulbright Scholarships to Australian citizens across all career stages. Awardees take part in a bi-lateral academic and cultural exchange, pursuing research or study at a U.S. institution, experiencing life in the United States of America, and bringing back their knowledge and experience to share with their communities in Australia. Since its inception in Australia in 1949, Fulbright Australia have awarded over 5,000 scholarships, creating a vibrant, dynamic, and interconnected network of Alumni.
Why apply for the Fulbright Professional Scholarship in Non-Profit Leadership?
This scholarship provides an exceptional opportunity for personal / professional development and broader impact through research, experiential learning or management training at an approved U.S. institution or charitable organisation. It offers the unique opportunity to exchange ideas and information with industry leaders in Australia and the U.S., and join the prestigious alumni of Fulbright Scholars worldwide.
Successful applicants will undertake research and/or professional development which addresses contemporary issues of relevance, innovation, knowledge development, impact on policy and practice in the NFP sector across any discipline or service area. For example, in 2010, the Productivity Commission delivered a seminal report outlining the “Contribution of the Not-for-Profit Sector”. The report made a series of recommendations which can be viewed here.
The 2021 Fulbright Professional Scholarship in Non-Profit Leadership is generously funded by The Centenary Foundation.
Fulbright Scholarship package
The scholarship, valued at AUD $30,000, includes:
- Monthly stipend for living expenses
- Round-trip, economy class airfare directly to and from the scholar’s home city and the city of the host institution
- Dependent allowance – if applicable
- Health & Accident Insurance (ASPE) – valued at up to USD$100,000 (for the scholar only)
- Access to established professional networks – alumni and other international collaborative groups
- Orientation and enrichment opportunities – in Australia and the U.S.
- Extensive support – from the Fulbright Commission as well as U.S. organisations
- Media and publicity support
- Attendance at the Orientation Program, Showcase & Gala Presentation Dinner
Who should apply
In order to be competitive for the Fulbright Professional Scholarship in Non-Profit leadership, applicants will have:
- an undergraduate qualification plus a minimum of ten years work experience
- a record of achievement gained from a minimum of three years employment at a mid to senior level position (Manager/Director) within the NFP sector
- an established leadership profile within the sector and a record of achievement (ideas and/or programs)
- demonstrated active participation / leadership on sector issues and policy development
- demonstrated impact through personal leadership, initiative and innovation in program development and delivery
- recognition by sector peers as a leader through election to office, awards/prizes/other recognition, etc.
- high potential for further achievement, evidenced by reputation for integrity, general positive values and motivation to make a difference
Innovative applications which articulate key issues with the potential to lead to ongoing collaborative partnerships; develop skills and capabilities of the person and the NFP Sector, and which lead to a stronger bilateral relationship between Australia and the United States will be highly regarded.
Applicants must also fulfil the “Eligibility and Conditions” section of the Australian Applicants page in order to be eligible for this scholarship.
|6 February 2020||Applications open|
|6 July 2020 at 11:59pm AEST||Applications closed|
|September – October 2020||Shortlisted candidates are interviewed|
|December 2020||All scholarship applicants are notified of the selection outcomes|
|February – March 2021||Formal awarding of successful applicants at Gala Presentation Dinner (awardee attendance compulsory)|
How to apply
- Prior to applying, we strongly encourage applicants to read and ensure they meet the requirements outlined on the following pages:
- See “Eligibility and Conditions”: https://www.fulbright.org.au/applicants/australian-applicants/
- See all: https://www.fulbright.org.au/scholarships/fulbright-professional-scholarship-in-non-profit-leadership/
- Applications must be completed and submitted via Fulbright Australia’s online portal. Applications emailed or posted to Fulbright cannot be considered.
- To discuss your application aspirations with someone in your area, please consider reaching out to one of Fulbright Australia’s Campus Advisers.
- Fill in and include the Scholar/Postdoctoral Checklist with your application if you’d like to be considered for additional awards.
- Download and read the Applicant Instructions document for a step-by-step guide on the online application process. Follow the prompts within this document to begin your application.
Please note: by submitting an application for this scholarship, you will also automatically be considered in the general Scholar Award pool.
Click here for more information regarding eligibility, selection criteria, terms and conditions, and the scholarship timeline.
Click here for information specific to the Fulbright Professional Scholarship in Non-Profit Leadership and download the flyer.
Applications for the 2021 Fulbright Professional Scholarship in Non-Profit Leadership closed Monday 6 July 2020 at 11:59pm AEST.