CPA Australia Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Scholarships
Applications open: Monday 21 August, 2023
CPA Australia and the Australian Scholarships Foundation are offering up to five (5) x 100% scholarships annually for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders. The scholarship will assist recipients to meet the educational requirements needed to attain CPA status. Scholarship recipients will receive complimentary enrolment for CPA Program subjects not yet undertaken, and one waived CPA Australia Associate (ASA) membership fee for three (3) years of membership.
The scholarships aim to help people to meet the educational requirements for CPA status, and demonstrate their commitment to learning to potential employers.
The scholarship entitles recipients to exemption from all CPA Program subject fees and a full three years of ASA membership fees waived, at Associate level.
To complete the CPA Program, you’ll need to complete six subjects: four compulsory and two elective subjects*. The four compulsory subjects are Ethics and Governance, Strategic Management Accounting, Financial Reporting, Global Strategy and Leadership.
* If you’ve already completed recognised studies in tax and auditing, you’re free to choose any elective. However, if you haven’t completed recognised studies in tax and audit this will be a compulsory subject in your CPA program and you must sit Australia Taxation, and/or Advanced Audit and Assurance.
The CPA Program subject is delivered over a single semester – or half a year – with an exam at the end.
Successful applicants in this scholarship round will be given the choice of beginning their studies in either Semester 1 or Semester 2 in 2024.
- Semester 1: Starts late January 2024 (date TBC)
- Semester 2: Starts August 2024 (date TBC)
Exact start dates to be announced by CPA Australia in November 2023. Click here to see important CPA Program related dates on their website.
The CPA Program was designed to support those who prefer the freedom of studying whenever and wherever you like at your own pace, to make juggling your work, life and study commitments more manageable by studying via distance learning.
The CPA Australia Guided learning supports our Associate members to achieve great results in their CPA Program exams. We know everyone has a different approach to learning, and many students excel through structured study, Guided learning offers a range of tools and resources for all subjects
Once you have been accepted into the CPA Program*, you’ll have six years to complete the CPA Program which includes the Your Experience requirement to advance to CPA status.
When you complete the CPA Program and achieve CPA status, you’ll be equipped with the technical and leadership skills required of today’s accounting professionals.
*See Eligibility requirements below for details on how to gain entry into the program.
Application Requirements and Eligibility
Only applicants who meet the eligibility criteria and submit a complete application package will be considered.
Applicants must submit:
- A completed application form
- Evidence of recognition as an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander i.e., Confirmation of Identity – Verification for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people form, or a statutory declaration stating their identity as an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander.
- A curriculum vitae (CV).
- Evidence of your Australian residency i.e., a utility bill or bank statement displaying your residential address.
- A copy of your academic transcript showing subjects passed and grades awarded, the years in which you passed, and the year the degree was awarded (or, if not yet awarded, a copy of your most recent academic transcript).
- A high-quality, coloured scan or photo of your original degree award certificate and official itemised transcript, showing subjects passed by year and grades awarded.
- A written reference from a member of an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander organisation
- A one-page statement detailing your planned professional career and the reasons for wanting to be a CPA Australia member.
- be assessed or have been assessed as eligible to join CPA Australia at Associate level. To be eligible to join as Associate member, you must have completed a CPA Australia-accredited course or be assessed as meeting all of the Foundation competency requirements.
There are five 100% scholarships available, which will entitle recipients to enrolment into the six CPA Program subjects, valued at approximately $7,740. The scholarship award does not cover completed subject fees prior to receiving the scholarship, Foundation subjects, deferral fees or CPA Australia membership fees.
The scholarships will be awarded each November. They are effective from the date awarded and will be tenable for six years, subject to the satisfactory progress by the recipients towards the completion of the CPA Program.
The scholarship does not require the recipient to render any service to the donors.
The scholarship will be awarded by CPA Australia solely based on merit, against the selection criteria set out in the CPA Australia ‘Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Scholarship’ Terms and Conditions. CPA Australia’s decision will be final and only the successful applicant(s) will be contacted. A maximum of five scholarship recipients will be selected annually, however, CPA Australia is not obliged to award the scholarship.
|Monday 21 August, 2023||Applications Open|
|Sunday 24 September 2023||Applications Close at 11.59pm|
|Friday 3 November 2023||All scholarship applicants are notified of the selection outcomes|
|Wednesday 8 November 2023||Scholarship acceptance due from successful applicants|
|January 2024||Semester 1 begins|
For more information about the CPA Program, please visit CPA Australia’s website or attend an upcoming information session. For any queries regarding the CPA Program or eligibility requirements, contact CPA Australia via [email protected].
If you need assistance with the scholarship application process, please contact Australian Scholarships Foundation via [email protected].
Applications for the CPA Australia Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Scholarships close Sunday 24 September at 11.59pm AEST.