Image: Right: Sonja Johnson is CEO of Regional Development Australia Tropical North. Left Compost for a Farming Future – Shark Recyclers composting facility in Biboohra, Far North Queensland.
This year 30 scholarships have been awarded to not-for-profit executive leaders to join the McKinsey Executive Leadership Program in 2023. This leadership development program is run for over 200 executives from the private, public, NFP and social sectors across Australia.
The program consists of three key parts: two one-week residential blocks and remote learning and individual and group coaching sessions. Week one commences in May 2023.
On receiving the scholarship Sonja Johnson, CEO of Regional Development Australia Tropical North shares, “As part of the McKinsey Executive Leadership Program, my aim is to further develop my negotiation, leadership and conflict resolution skills to enable me to support our region in driving economic development opportunities with stakeholders, including local, state and Australian governments. This scholarship will undoubtedly better equip me with the knowledge, guidance and expertise to deliver on this goal.”
Dr Scott Winch is Acting Head Australia First Nations Program and First Nations Senior Policy Advisor with World Vision Australia and Co-Chair, Know Your Country Campaign. Scott is also a McKinsey Execuitve Leadership Program (ELP) Scholarship recipient this year. Scott shares on receiving this scholarship, “While I have had leadership opportunities at various times throughout my career, the Not-for-Profit space is relatively new to me and has a distinct culture requiring different leadership styles and skills. I’m interested in acquiring new knowledge and skills to assist being an effective leader within World Vision when working across the organisation from staff in the field to the executive lead team. Importantly, there are new spaces in which I find myself being engaged such as with politicians, government, peak agencies and with the media which I feel I could benefit greatly from additional leadership skills.”
We wish all the winners the very best with the program and know they will enjoy the opportunity to break from their busy schedules to learn with peers whilst gaining new perspectives and practices to take back to their teams.
The McKinsey Executive Leadership Program not-for-profit recipients in 2023 include:
- Chantal Abouchar, CEO, Byron Region Community College
- Lia Bartholomew, Head of Wellbeing, Melbourne Indigenous Transition School
- Scott Brown Director, Research and Advice, Queensland Council of Social Service (QCOSS)
- Fiona Coluccio, General Manager, NSW/ACT, The Smith Family
- Jon Crail, Programs Executive Director, The Fred Hollows Foundation
- Selene Dudley-Bateman, CEO, Auspicious Arts Projects Inc
- Megan Enders, Chief Executive Officer, Fogarty Foundation
- Enda Fahy, Chief Finance Officer, Southcare Inc
- Linda Ferguson, Head of Finance & Technology, Starlight Children’s Foundation Australia
- Hannah George, Executive Officer, Mary Ward International Australia
- Susan Goode, Chief Executive Officer, Trans Tasman Radiation Oncology Group (Trading as TROG Cancer Research)
- Kelsey Jamieson, Executive General Manager of Therapy Services, Kids+ Foundation
- Sonja Johnson, Chief Executive Officer, Regional Development Australia Tropical North Inc
- Liana Joseph, National Science Manager, Australian Wildlife Conservancy
- Kathryn Key, Chief Executive Officer, Sydney Drug Education and Counselling Centre
- Jonathan Kirkham, National Programs Manager, Starlight Children’s Foundation Australia
- Brigid Koenig, Chief Executive Officer, Sammy D Foundation
- Joanna Le, Projects and Partnerships Director, Foundation for Alcohol Research and Education (FARE)
- Armine Nalbandian, Chief Executive Officer, Centre for Social Impact
- Melanie Poole, Director of Policy and Research, Foundation for Alcohol Research and Education
- Wendy Prowse, CEO, ACT Disability, Aged & Carer Advocacy Service (ADACAS)
- Lara Shur, Director, Clinical Services & Outcomes; COO, Earbus Foundation of Western Australia
- Travis Sprigg, Chief Operating Officer, Jobs South West Incorporated trading as JSW Training & Community Services (“JSW”)
- Jenny Williams, Chief Operating Officer, Amana Living Inc
- Scott Winch, Director, Indigenous data sovereignty and local data projects, NSW Coalition of Aboriginal Peak Organisations. Previously, A/g Head Australia, First Nations Programs, World Vision Australia
- Yvonne Wrigglesworth, General Manager, Loddon Mallee Health Network / Bendigo Health
- Kate Wright, Chief Executive Officer, Centre Against Sexual Assault Central Victoria Inc
Congrats everyone and enjoy the experience.
Read more about the McKinsey Executive Leadership Program scholarships for not-for-profit leaders here.
Mission Delivery NFP leadership programs 2023
McKinsey and Company have developed the Mission Delivery leadership program, a series of standalone day programs for leaders of not-for-profit organisations and social enterprises. The programs are designed to give participants the space for reflection, introduce new tools, and develop peer connections to help them lead successfully.
Three fee-free programs (delivered virtually) offered to the sector in 2023 including, for:
- Building the conditions for success – Friday 31 March, 9:00am – 1:00pm AEDT
- Shaping the organisation and system – Friday 19 May, 9:00am – 1:00pm AEST
CEOs and Executives
- Leading self and teams – Friday 2 June, 10:00am – 4:00pm AEST
- Leading organisations and systems – Friday 28 July, 10:00am – 4:00pm AEST
- Leading self and teams – Friday 4 August, 10:00am – 4:00pm AEST
- Leading organisations and systems – Friday 1 September, 10:00am – 4:00pm AEST
Three capabilities to boost the not-for-profit sector’s impact.
This article explores the capabilities identified to boost the not-for-profit sector’s impact.