Australian Institute of Company Directors – Women’s Regional, Rural and Remote Diversity Scholarships 2022
The Australian Institute of Company Directors (AICD) with support from the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet’s Office for Women is pleased to launch a multi-year scholarship program to support emerging and experienced female directors in regional, rural and remote Australia. These scholarships are being administered by the Australian Scholarships Foundation.
The program will provide opportunities for suitably qualified women from different backgrounds who face additional barriers to education and leadership participation.
The AICD welcomes applicants who reflect the diversity of Australia’s population and encourage Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women, culturally diverse women, women with disability and those in the not-for-profit sector to apply.
The first round of the program is offering the following courses to be undertaken in 2022:
- 30 full-fee scholarships to undertake the AICD’s Company Directors Course
- 24 full-fee scholarships to undertake the AICD’s Foundations of Directorship program.
Each scholarship includes subsidised travel and accommodation* to the course location, a one-year membership to the AICD and a subscription to the AICD’s Directorship Opportunities service. Options to attend courses online are also available.
Further information and FAQs can be found here.
* Travel and accommodation must be paid for by the individual. Claims, capped at $1,100 or $1,500 (commensurate with course and individual travel requirements) may be submitted for reimbursement on completion of the course.
Successful applicants will be provided with a selection of 2022 course dates from which to choose.
Foundations of Directorship program
The Foundations of Directorship program provides foundational knowledge of the duties and responsibilities of boards and directors.
For directors newly appointed to boards, anyone who might be interested in pursuing a career as a director, or for executives and managers who would like a better understanding of board processes, the Foundations of Directorship program gives you the essential information you need to know.
Held over three days, the Foundations of Directorship program includes 50 hours of pre-reading and an optional post-course assessment.
Company Directors Course
The AICD’s Company Directors Course is designed for directors from a diverse range of industries and organisations and is ideal for those looking to understand director roles and responsibilities in-depth, take their boardroom performance to the next level and improve their impact in today’s evolving business landscape.
This course is right for you if you are:
- A new director
- An experienced director
- A senior executive reporting to boards.
The Company Directors Course is held over five days and includes 80 hours of pre-reading and online preparation and an optional post-course assessment. It is recommended to complete the Foundations of Directorship program or have equivalent professional experience before enrolling.
To be eligible for the AICD Women’s Regional, Rural and Remote Diversity Scholarships you must:
- Identify as a woman
- Reside outside a main Australian metropolitan city or urban area. To check if your area is eligible, please click here (if your residential postcode falls into the Regional centres and other regional areas category, then you are eligible for this scholarship)
- Currently have the right to remain in Australia to work and study for a period of at least five years (you may be required to show proof of visa status)
- Have never been, nor are you currently, disqualified from being a director of a corporation or organisation
- Agree to course time and deadline commitments and be able to provide own transport and travel costs until reimbursement on completion of the course
The Australian Scholarships Foundation is pleased to work with the AICD to administer these scholarships, to contribute to and strengthen capability building in underrepresented areas of leadership. As such, the general eligibility requirements of our not-for-profit scholarships do not apply.
Course dates and locations
Successful applicants will be provided with a number of course dates between January and December 2022 from which to choose.
In light of the continuing COVID-19 pandemic and challenges that remain for intrastate and interstate travel, applicants are encouraged to apply for face-to-face courses in their state or territory of residence. Online course dates will be offered as part of this program.
|5 October 2021||Applications open|
|29 October 2021 at 5pm AEDT||Applications close|
|December 2021||All scholarship applicants are notified of the selection outcomes|
|January – December 2022||Course dates available|
How to apply
To apply for a scholarship, please complete the following steps:
- Click ‘APPLY NOW’ above and follow the prompts
- Complete an online Australian Scholarships Foundation scholarship application form and upload a resume. A letter of endorsement from your employer is not required for this scholarship.
For further information on AICD courses please contact 1300 739 119 or visit the AICD website.
Applications for the 2022 Australian Institute of Company Directors – Women’s Regional, Rural and Remote Diversity Scholarships close at 5pm (AEDT) on Friday 29 October 2021.